This imposing building was built in 1827 as the grand London residence for an aristocratic family. After a long and colourful history, it was acquired in the 1960s by the developer Hammerson, who converted it into their HQ.
Hammerson’s decision to move to a new HQ prompted a re-evaluation of the building’s future and Formation Architects were appointed to advise on the options. Various solutions were investigated which resulted in three separate Planning Permissions, each suggesting a different future for the building – as a refurbished office, as a conversion into multiple apartments and as a single-family house.
After a period of marketing, a buyer emerged with the intention of pursuing the single-family house option, hiring the world-famous interior designer Alberto Pinto to produce concepts for the interior spaces. Formation Architects were then asked to collaborate with the Paris-based designer to update the proposals in line with the new owner’s requirements and subsequently to produce construction documentation for tender. The chosen contractor, Walter Lilly, were appointed by the client with Formation Architects completing the construction documents and following the works on site under a traditional JCT contract.
The original building, which is Grade II* listed, had undergone substantial alteration, but many of its original features remained, including some very grand Regency and early Victorian interiors. The Ballroom and Gallery were recreated from historical records and the restoration works involved many specialised conservation techniques.
Developer Hutchison Property Group initially appointed Formation Architects to undertake a complete review and rationalisation of the proposed scheme design, which in turn has led to a new Planning Permission being granted for the project. We are now undertaking implementation design information to take the project through to completion.